We bet a lot of people out there think they aren’t getting paid enough on the job. Well, it turns out most people are probably right.
Glassdoor looked base salaries reported as compared to the current market value of a job and determined that folks could be getting $7,500 more than they do per year on average. The site also determined the jobs where workers are the most underpaid and if yours is on the list you may want to talk to your boss.
Top 10 Most Underpaid Jobs (potential salary growth)
- Emergency Medical Technician (21.9% or $7,771)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (21.3% or $6,505)
- Research Assistant (20.9% or $7,935)
- Java Developer (17.7% or $16,792)
- Pharmacist (16.5% or $23, 261)
- Web Designer (15.5% or $9,508)
- Software Engineer (15.2% or $17,943)
- Medical Assistant (15.1% or $5,320)
- Marketing Manager (15.0% or $14,107)
- Communications Manager (14.8% or $13,334)
As for why so many people are underpaid, it all comes down to negotiations. Data suggests that close to 60% of people did not negotiate their salaries and they probably should. A recent study found that 75% of college grads were able to get a 5% to 10% salary increase by negotiating, yet only 38% of them actually did.
- Of course a lot of people don’t negotiate because they may be scared to but there are some things you can do that will make you more confident going into a negotiation. First off, it’s important to know the going rate for the job you’re interested in, and that can easily be found on a variety of online sites. Also, when applying for a job, ask for a salary range rather than a specific salary, you may be surprised with what you get.