We’re all feeling a little cooped up these days and it’s easy to start spinning out when that happens. Following the news for every coronavirus update and thinking about all the things we’re not getting to do in our lives isn’t helping us feel less anxious, but you know what will? Self-care. Taking care of ourselves is important any time, but especially these days when tensions are high and there’s not much we can control about the current situation. Self-care can be anything you like that gives you a break, from baking to meditating to painting your nails and this is why it’s so important right now.
- It can improve your mood- We’re all a little edgy these days with everything going on in the world and trying to work from home and be at home ALL the time. But devoting a little of all that time on your hands to taking care of yourself will help you feel better and give you an instant mood boost.
- It will help your heart- Exercise is one of the best forms of self-care. You don’t have to be a weightlifter or spin class devotee to get the benefits, just taking a walk counts. It’s good for your body and your mind, too, so start small if you want, but get moving and get outside a little every day.
- It helps you refocus- Self-care is basically taking a break from everything to prioritize yourself for a few minutes andresearch showssmall breaks can help you perform better. So when you’re at your wits end and don’t know what to do, it’s time for some self-care.
- You’ll be able to care for others better- It’s tough to be there for your family when you’re feeling burned out, so make time for yourself so that doesn’t happen.
- You won’t feel as stressed out- Taking care of yourself means keeping stress from taking over so you can fully function. And giving yourself time to read, relax, sleep, do yoga, watch trashy TV, or whatever feels like self-care to you will definitely help lower your stress levels and that’s what it’s all about.